Monday, June 20, 2011

The best 6 months of my life

Hey Everyone! My name's Emily and I am currently working at Nkoaranga Orphanage and have been since January of this year. Words cannot describe what an incredible experience this has all been. Meeting the kids and watching them grow has been an absolute privilege.

I recently went travelling for 3 weeks and missed the kids an unbelievable amount; when I returned little Zawadi was walking all on her own! We were all so proud of her. She really has worked hard to fight the rickets and is doing an amazing job- she was even dancing the other day. I couldn't believe how much they had all grown; we were so happy that little Ebenezer has started to gain weight again and increase in size.

All of the children are beautiful and unique in their own way; before I came here I had never looked after children and the idea of it was quite daunting, but now I could change a nappy with my eyes closed- which does occasionally happen when we are graced with yet another power cut.

Getting to know all of the children is a real treat, over the past 5 months we have become so close to all of them; I could easily walk into the playroom and tell you which pair of shoes Stevie likes to wear the most and which Bob the Builder DVD is David's favourite. The work that everyone is doing to help the children is incredible and really beneficial. Working with the Mama's has been a pleasure and it's wonderful to know that the children are being cared for by women who really do love them.

We have less than 3 weeks left in Africa and the idea of leaving the children is absolutely killing me but it is so reassuring to know that we are leaving the children in the care of such wonderful and competent women.

As soon as I can I will be returning to Nkoaranga and to the most beautiful children I have ever met. They are all so clever, funny, happy and loving- such beautiful individuals. All buzzing with life- I never knew such big personalities could come out of such small people...or so much slobber. They are all perfect and I know they are going to grow into incredible individuals.

1 comment:

  1. You are a real inspiration, Emily. You have brought the orphanage alive for us in your blog, and also you beautiful photos on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete