Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nearly a month already!

It's impossible to believe that I've been home for almost a month, it has actually gone really fast, but that would be because I've barely been at home in that time, so I've completely failed at blogging. My last evening with the kids all that time ago was really great though and a wonderful way to say goodbye to them.

This video is from the day before I left. The filming is a bit erratic because it's quite hard to keep your hand steady when you're being climbed on! One of the most amazing things about the orphanage as a volunteer is how excited the children are to see you. Whether you've been gone for days or just nipped home for some lunch they greet you with amazing enthusiasm, bouncing towards you and shrieking your name. You feel that just by turning up you've given them something and your arrival is always something to be excited about - which isn't always good if you were just quietly trying to sneak in to feed the chickens and not attract any attention!

Of course it takes a while, but for me the point that the children knew my name was when I really fell in love with Nkoaranga orphanage. Before that I had struggled to feel a part of it, but this kind of welcome means you know you are wanted there as much as you can be there...and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment