Saturday, April 14, 2012

Teleport, please?

I have to start by apologizing for the long delay between posts - I've been in the US visiting my wonderful family, which has been great - but has required two overnight flights in the last weeks, neither of which I slept on, so my body has no idea when or where I am! I'm only now JUST about coherent enough to post. Which brings me to my next point - it's 2012. That sounds like the future, right? Where is my teleport? I could hop in, spend the weekends and all my spare time with the kids in Tanzania, then beam myself back in time for classes. I will continue to wait impatiently until my teleport arrives.

Maybe I lied a bit when I said I was coherent enough to post. Let's stick to the facts - a few brief announcements that will be expanded upon soon.

Ebeni Ndogo

  • We have a new baby to welcome to the Nkoaranga family! Don't have any pictures of him yet, but I hear he's a real cutie, and healthy - a second Ebenezer, which will make our big guy Ebenezer Kubwa and this little guy Ebenezer Ndogo. What a blessing that our Ebeni is now the big one - he was so sick and small for so long! UPDATE: Here he is, one beautiful new baby Ebenezer, thanks to Steffi for the photo!
    Ebeni Kubwa


  • On a sadder note, we had a little angel pass briefly through the orphanage, a girl named Rehema - unfortunately she was SO premature that she only lasted a few days with us. Again, I hope to have pictures so that we can properly memorialize her - but hold your munchkins close. 
Go Maureen go!
  • Speaking of how fantastically Ebeni Kubwa is doing, he is now officially WALKING - as is Maureen Ndogo! Gracie is now super confident and strides around everywhere like she owns the place. Vicky is on the verge - can take  few steps but can't keep the balance up for long enough - and Frankie continues to be a lazybones. Filipo has been sick lately so he hasn't caught up to the crew yet, but I bet he'll be walking in no time. 
  • The electrical rewiring of the orphanage is almost complete - all of the switches and outlets have been moved safely out of the kids' reach, the wiring has been gone over with a fine toothed comb and replaced in multiple places for safety, and the laundry room is now properly grounded, which should save a LOT of hard work by hand for the mamas when surges were disabling the machines before. At this stage they're just double checking that all the lights are properly hooked up and repainting all the walls they had to disrupt to get at the wires. I'm sure the kids have been fascinated by the process and will be sad to see them go - but hopefully they'll be back soon, once we've raised the rest of the money for Light Up the Night! 
  • Speaking of which, we're all eagerly anticipating Kristina's gala fundraiser for Light Up the Night in Victoria, BC on April 29th - it really looks like it's going to be a blast! Anyone who hasn't RSVPed yet, do it now - it's going to be a fantastic evening. 
  • We're also happy to introduce some new partners - Speranza Tanzania (meaning Hope Tanzania) is a new organization working with Nkoaranga hospital in much the same way we work with the orphanage, run by two fantastic med students out of Italy, Martina and Lorenzo. They're currently paying for a fantastic young medical officer from the hospital to go to medical school and become a full fledged doctor, and we're hoping to work together to get more of the hospital lit up in the future!  We'll even be overlapping for a few months this summer. Don't worry - the page is in Italian but Google will translate it for you. You'll be hearing more about our work together in the coming months! 
I'll leave you with my favorite video of all recent history - my beautiful Zawadi in a tutu brought in by some kind volunteers. Thanks Amy for the video! Note the awesome shoes - this is a child who has been so funny with shoes since she was a tiny girl. She used to wear them on all her hands and feet, and if she had to choose, would keep them on her hands! Some things never change, and I love that this is one of them.


Lots of love and happy Easter and Passover from all of us at The Small Things and the Nkoaranga kids! 



No comments:

Post a Comment