Monday, October 22, 2012

Nkoaranga Angels: Jan Maltby, Brinnington Health Centre, Stockport Foundation Trust and Jade Devon

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who want to help the kids when they have never even met them. They've heard stories or seen pictures and know that they want to help them even though they've never had the pleasure of getting to know the kids, the pleasure of loving them and being loved in return. These people are kind and selfless and the sort of people we need more of in this world.

I want to say a huge thank you to the wonderful Jan Maltby, a friend of my mothers, who has heard all about my adventures in Tanzania and the amazing people I met there. Over the past few months, she has been raising money for the orphanage through her knitting business, Artijan. She is a talented knitter and has used her skills to raise money for our wonderful children and we couldn't be more grateful. She is naming The Small Things as her 'good cause' for the year and, for each item she sells, is donating one pound. This is an incredible gesture and we are very thankful for your selflessness and generosity. Thank you for caring about our kids.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to Brinnington Health Centre, the Stockport Foundation Trust and the incredible Jade-Marie Devon. Jade is one of my house mates and has spent many an hour listening to loads of stories and watching tons of videos as I natter away about those beautiful kids who mean the world to me. She's always taken an interest in my life in Tanzania and I want to say a huge thank you to her for comforting me when I moan about missing it all. This wonderful girl has arranged for the medical supplies that are not going to be used at Brinnington Health Centre to be donated to The Small Things and sent out to Nkoaranga Hospital. This plan has grown and grown and we have now received a huge donation from the whole of the Stockport Foundation Trust who wish to continue to make donations to Nkoaranga Hospital indefinitely. This is amazing news and incredibly generous of them, so thank you to everyone who has been involved. You are wonderful and we are eternally grateful. I would also like to say a huge thank you to Jade and Becca, who helped us to collect this massive donation. Without the use of a car and a few spare hands, we would still be struggling to get them off the bus, so thank you.

None of these people have ever met the kids of Nkoaranga Orphanage or the patients of Nkoaranga Hospital but they all want to help them and I think this is remarkable. It shows what generous and caring people there are in the world and it makes me proud of the people I know.

So, to all those people who have helped the kids, donated to one of our projects, listened to our stories and read our blogs, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you. It's people like you who give me faith in humanity.

Here's some videos of the kids to enjoy...


Vicky and her gremlin hands



Saimoni and Vicki (renamed Vixen by the kids) having fun


The kids experimenting with sound




No comments:

Post a Comment