Thursday, November 29, 2012

Nawapenda daima, watoto yangu


I am very sorry to announce that this will be my last blog for The Small Things as I am having to step down from the board. Unfortunately, my workload is very intense at University this year, and I cannot continue to work on the board due to time constraints. I am genuinely heartbroken about this as The Small Things is something that is very important to me as, by working with them, I have a connection with the kids that is invaluable to me. It is a way for me to have a positive impact on those beautiful children's lives, despite being so far away.

It's taken me a long time to decide to step down from the board, but I have realised that I just can not balance University work and The Small Things. However, I shall still be working in very close contact with The Small Things, just at a lower level and will most definitely still be a part of the children's lives. I am planning to return to Tanzania for a month next summer and couldn't be more excited about this.

As I'm sure you all know by now, the kids are amazing. They are all such beautiful, funny, kind, CRAZY, brilliant children and they are going to do some incredible things in this world. I didn't think it was possible to fall in love with so many people in such a small amount of time, but we all did. As we've said before, the kids have a way of working their way into your hearts and permanently cementing themselves there. I can confidently say that they will always be a part of my life, and Nkoaranga will always feel like one of my homes.

Nkoaranga is a place where I met some incredible people, had some wonderful experiences, and made a home with my fellow gap year friends. It is a place that I will continue to visit for the rest of my life and it will always have a place in my heart.

I miss Nkoaranga every single day. I miss the kids. I miss the Mamas. I miss the wonderful people in the village. I miss the fun times we had. I miss the food we ate. I miss the day to day living. I miss the mangoes! It is a place that will always be my home.

I miss the children every day, and The Small Things is a way of me being able to help the kids from so far away, which is why I found this decision so difficult. I will, however, continue to be as close connected to the kids as possible and work with The Small Things to help the children as best as we can. This kids will always be a part of my life, and I will continue to work with The Small Things to keep them safe and happy. I know that I will be visiting Nkoaranga Orphanage for the many years to come, and I hope that, one day, I will be able to take my children their and show them the people that I have fallen in love with (though this will be very, VERY far in the future).

I want to take the opportunity to thank my fellow board members. I feel so lucky to have been able to work with you all. You're such amazing people and I know that you are going to continue to do some incredible work for the kids. I am so proud of the progress that we have achieved so far and the work we are going to continue to do in the near future. I am thankful every day that we all met and were able to start such a wonderful charity and help the children who really mean the world to us.

I also want to thank my friends and family for their ongoing support towards The Small Things. You always ask me how the kids are and what you can do to help. You know how important the children are to me and have always supported me in the work I have been doing. This has been a very difficult decision for me to make, and you have supported me along the way, so, thank you. I especially want to thank my Mum, Dad and brother, James, for always supporting me and caring about what is important to me. Thank you for being the best family I could possibly have. I love you.  

And finally, I want to thank you wonderful people. Without you, none of this would have been possible. You're ongoing support is invaluable and it never ceases to amaze me how generous people are about a group of children that they have never met. It really shows the kindness of strangers and the way in which the children can touch the hearts of those who have only heard stories and seen pictures of them but know what amazing kids they are.

So, this is me, signing out. I am heartbroken to have to step down from the board but I am going to continue to work with The Small Things to help the kids as best as possible and will still be visiting the kids in the many years to come. Thank you for all of your help and support; what you are doing is amazing.

And to you, our beautiful children, I love you and I always will. I count myself as the luckiest person in the world to have met you and been loved by you and I know we will always be a part of one another lives. Thank you for being you.

Nawapenda sana. Tutoanana baadaye. x

No comments:

Post a Comment