Friday, December 5, 2014

A-Z of everything that is great about Tanzania!

Hello Everyone!

My name is Rose, and I have been working with TST in Nkoaranga for over 4 months now. In such a short amount of time, I fell in love with our wonderful children, and Tanzania in general, so I recently made the decision to extend my stay in Tanzania from 6 months to one year. I am so excited to have the opportunity to work with TST and being able to witness its growth and hopefully contribute to it! I am also looking forward to learning more about the culture, and enjoying all the wonderful things Tanzania has to offer. Here is my A-Z list of everything I love about Tanzania:


A – Avocados

They are twice the size of avocados back home, and cost 500 shillings (20p) instead of £2!



B – Bananas

Bananas are everywhere, and so many different kinds! We even have banana trees in our garden in the compound. Thanks to Ashley, making Banana Bread has become a tradition for our group meals and events.



C – Chips mayai

I was torn between choosing Chips Mayai or Chapati (I know Theresa would have gone for Chapati) but it has to be chips mayai – it is essentially a chips omelette (literally translates into “chips eggs”), and I can tell you with confidence that there is no better comfort food than chips mayai.



D – Doughnuts (Mandazi)

These doughnuts are locally known as Mandazi and they are little drops of heaven! It’s better to not think of the amount of calories and just enjoy it with a cup of Chai.




E – Embe (Mango)

Mango season is approaching, and I cannot contain my excitement. At the moment, they’re around 500 shillings each (20p), by the middle of January they’re going to be everywhere and around 100 shillings each (what!).



F – Frank

Alright I know I’m technically cheating, but I'm sure all the previous and current volunteers will appreciate this! He is our wonderful driver, who makes every trip memorable.




G – Greetings

This is probably one of my favourite things about Tanzania – walking out of the office, and having a 10 minute conversation with people in the community with just greetings!

H – Hot Springs (Maji Moto)

After driving for miles in the middle of the desert (probably getting lost a few times), you will find this magical oasis hidden behind large fig trees. The perfect place for a volunteer social!



I – Ice Cream

Azam Ice Cream is a must when you’re in need of comfort food.



J – Juice
Nothing beats a glass of fresh mango or passion fruit juice!



K – Konyagi

“Konyagi, the spirit of the Nation, is a drink that brings many people from many places together with one rhythm and one spirit” can’t argue with that one, but they forgot to mention the lovely headache that it comes with the next day.

L –Landscape
I am so grateful to be living in a community where you can go for a hike at any point and witness the most beautiful sceneries ever!



M – Markets

The markets in Tanzania are amazing, specially Tengeru Market every Wednesday and Saturday. You can buy everything from clothes and shoes to all your fruit and veg. (I bought a pair of Vans for £2)


N – National Parks
From Arusha National Park to Tarangire, Serengeti and Kilimanjaro. Tanzania has so many beautiful national parks for you to visit.



O – Oranges

They may be green instead of orange, but they are absolutely delicious and probably the most accessible fruit after bananas.



P – Piki Pikis!

Not everyone’s favourite - but these motorbike taxis are my favourite way of getting around.



R –Rice with Sauce

Probably my second favourite dish - rice with sauce, beans and vegetables (of course you can get meat too). If you’re having a lazy day and don’t feel like cooking which is most days for me, Baracka outside of our compound makes this dish everyday!



S – Swahili

I think Swahili is such a great language to learn. “pole” – my personal favourite, meaning sorry, but you can literally say it with regards to anything e.g. sorry you are tired. How wonderful is that!



T – Tea (Chai)

The nation’s favourite drink, black tea made with hot milk and lots of sugar and spice.



U – Ugali

I can’t say I personally love it, but Ugali is a classic Tanzanian dish that is served with sauces, vegetables, and meat.



V- Via Via

This one’s for you Cassie! Everyone’s favourite ‘meeting place’ on a Thursday night.



W –Watoto (Children)

This blog post would have been pointless if I didn’t get to write about my favourite thing about Tanzania – the beautiful Watoto of Nkoaranga community that I have gotten to know and adore with all my heart.

Y –Yogurt Drink
Locally known as mtindi, this yogurt drink must be tried at least once!


Z – Zanzi
This is basically the Tanzanian version of Baileys – I don’t think I need to say anything else.




I hope the blog has made you consider booking a flight to Tanzania! Thanks for taking your time to read it, and please do get in touch with me if you have any questions or if you would like to volunteer for us! (rose@thesmallthings.org)


Asante sana!


Rose

1 comment:

  1. I love your list, Rose! And I totally agree with it, though I might give Konyagi a miss :) Dot

    ReplyDelete