Monday, January 3, 2011

Nobody understands but me and my chicken.

BUT FIRST, a very important welcome to sir Jamie Marks D'Arcy Hart, my extremely aristocratic and already classy new baby great-cousin, and a hearty congratulations to Dan and Ellen and big brother Gabriel, who is taking great interest in the proceedings. You are adored and much anticipated, little dude!

Alright. Back in Tanzania, we will be retracing to chronicle an even more than usually unusual incident in my travels here. I was invited by the hospital secretary, who I have been working closely with on the well project, to come to the inauguration of his church. This involved a flock of grandchildren at his house, international Evangelical bishops, singing Masaii making percussion accompaniment with their jewelry, and several African "kekis," or cakes, which is to say goats. Don't say I didn't warn you!
Fashionable AND functional

Dear Africans: This is not a cake.
With his plethora of grandchildren and almost certainly regretting his decision to invite me
Yeah. Then they started having a fundraising auction, inside the church because it was raining, which included auctioning off chickens that would likely be killed on the spot and served up for dinner. My crazy ass decided it would be a great idea to buy one of the chickens, to rescue the poor thing and bring it to the orphanage (to be killed by them, ok, granted, but it would take longer!) So I bid on Tweety. Tweety sat beautifully in my lap for two hours of services after his acquisition, while everyone in the church laughed at the crazy Mzungu, which was, in this case, completely legitimate.

Trying to look innocent. Stupid rooster. All that mocking for nothing.
So the poor Secretary, who invited me as a favor, had to drive me and my chicken, who I rescued from certain death, to join the others at the orphanage. And how does this ungrateful chicken repay me? BY BEING A ROOSTER. We can't have another rooster because he'll fight with Yosemite Sam, our resident rooster. For reference, the laying hens are Bugs and Elmer and Porky and Lola, while the adolescent hens are Heckyl and Jekyll, Tom and Jerry, and Daffy and Goofy. Now Tweety sadly must find another home, and I'm hoping it doesn't involve imminent death, but I did what I could. See if I try to save a chicken from certain death again! What have you done for ME lately, Tweets?

1 comment:

  1. Nice hat Bekka, great looking rooster and I guess my question about the earrings will have to wait for your return. Best of luck in your work with TAMIHA, the orphanage and saving chickens!

    ReplyDelete