Saturday, May 5, 2012

"Light Up The Night" - A Blazing Success!

Fundraising Project: Light up the night
Donation milestone markers
$2200 allows us to: rewire the orphanage.
$6000 allows us to: rewire and install solar panels in the orphanage.
$9500 allows us to: rewire the orphanage, and install solar panels in the maternity ward.






It has been a long time coming, but finally on April 29th my gala dinner and silent auction for "Light Up The Night" (details) took place at at The Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa in Victoria, BC.  
"Light Up The Night"

The evening proved to be a huge success; and thanks to the generosity of all who attended, and made a donation in lieu of attending we were able to raise $608.00 for food which includes: bananas, pineapples, rice, oil for cooking, meat, fish, chicken, toothbrushes, and underwear.  This will help to stock the pantry and provide them with a surplus to use in times of need.  Thank you to those who purchased 3 containers of baby formula.  This will help with our new baby Ebeni who is very weak and struggling right now.  I feel fortunate to be able to return in less than 2 weeks to assess the needs of this little one and help where I can.


 $1100.00 was raised for education and an additional  $7292.00 for the electrical work and solar panels for the orphanage. With the $60 already donated, that brings us to a grand total so far of $7352! 



Thank you to everyone in my local community that contributed to the silent auction tables.  Thank you to The Westin Bear Mountain Golf Resort & Spa in Victoria for sponsoring my event, and taking a chance on a girl with a crazy fundraising idea! I can't even begin to thank the members of my team at work who have provided the funds for David's first year of education; and I feel blessed to be a part of sponsoring this amazing kid.  


Many people are wondering where "The Mosiac Ladies" ended up.  Well, the beautiful quilt that was made by my amazingly talented mother was auctioned off with all funds going towards "Light Up The Night".  It will be a lovely house warming gift from one sister to another.  Don't worry if you missed out on this beautiful piece of fabric art, there will be a chance to bid on another one...more details to follow.   


"The Mosiac Ladies"
I can not even begin to express my thanks and gratitude to my family as I have planned this fundraiser, whilst working on my degree.  Their support has been more than I could have ever asked for.  From the very beginning my mom has been hands on assisting where she could.  Thanks to my dad for taking some wonderful and memorable photos of the event.Thanks to my sister and brother in law who out bid many people and took home 8 silent auction items; the record for the evening!  Without them this night would not have been possible. Last but not least a tremendous thanks to my boss at work for giving me the time off so I could return to Nkoaranga, and spend 7 more weeks with the children and mamas; I can't wait!        
My family ~ my cheerleaders!
I wish that I had the words to express how thankful I am for everyone that attended the evening and made it possible, but there are no words to express what I feel and how grateful I am for all of you.  I think that Mother Teresa says it best, "We ourselves know that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.  But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.  We can do no great things, only small things with great love."  That's what we are all about at The Small Things as we work to enhance the children and mama's lives at Nkoaranga, one small thing at a time.

My brother in law, my beautiful sister and niece. 
My "oldest" sponsors, my grandparents
Neela, Sandra (my mom), and Deborah.
Deborah made 50 pairs of pants and shorts for the children this summer.  
      

My work team and some of David's new sponsors
To contribute to "Light Up the Night" and help us reach our goal, click below! 

Thank you to everyone who came out, and who has helped us to reach this point. Your help will save lives, and we are very, very grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment