Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheesecake Factory, Chilis, and what might have been

 Ok, so things are a little too complicated right now for a full post, and I have a stomach bug, but I feel bad that I've been slacking, so... lets talk about chickens.

Apparently the chicken industry is serious business here - there are local chickens, which you see and can get anywhere, and then there are special layer chickens who, when they grow, produce 2 eggs per dayand can be bought. Except usually people buy, like, 500 at a time. So this company agreed to make an exception for the orphanage and sell us ten... little did I know how intense the pickup would be!

Each box holds 100 chicks, and people were walking up and buying five or ten boxes at a time - crazy! Also very, VERY loud - that many tiny peeps adds up pretty fast.
Mama kuku with her expanded brood
Anyway, we eventually got our little brood of ten, and they threw in one extra for good luck - and they are just so stinking cute it hurts. Also makes me realize how big our other chicks have gotten in only a week! Mama kuku has taken them under her wing , literally, and is dealing very well with having an additional 11 kids thrust upon her, better than I would, I must say.

So all is well in the world of chickens. Water is continuing to be an issue, one that will hopefully be resolve dimminently and won't require any further insane stress on my part. Also I'd really like it if Tanzania would stop throwing ailments at me, as if to test me - "Do you want to go home yet? Do you want to go home yet? How about now?" Today would in fact have been my original travel home date, and I'm 85% happy I'm staying, and 15% bummed it'll be another two months before a hot bath and reliable electricity. Also I keep having these awful dreams - last night I was home and slept in and we were discussing whether it was better to go to Cheesecake Factory or Chilis for a leisurely lunch. I actually woke myself up saying "NO!" as the dream started to slip away, because that just sounds luxurious beyond words right now.

Two more months. And my babies. It IS worth it, it IS. If only Chilis delivered internationally...

No comments:

Post a Comment