Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Returning home

I am now officially back in Africa, and I couldn't be happier. It honestly feels like I've come home. There's something about this country that makes you so relaxed and happy. I can't really explain it, but everyone is just so happy here, it's really lovely.

Sweet (and huge!) Ebenezer
Seeing the kids was the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for; it was so nice to see them running up to me and screaming my name out before they jumped on top of me. I can't believe how much they have all grown- it's crazy. The babies have all been moved into the toddler's cots because they're too big for their old cots now, so it's really strange to walk into the toddler room and see the children that I saw learning to crawl and sit up, now able to stand and try to say my name. It's such a relief to see how big Ebenezer has gotten now, we were really worried about him when I was here before because he was so ill, but now he's sat up, crawling about, even attempting to stand sometimes. Here are some Christmas highlights from the other kids.

Stevie enjoying his cake

Christmas havoc! 

Andrea and Pray considering their Christmas presents
Zawadi holding a much healthier
(if a little concerned) baby Peace
Little Peace looks like he has put on some weight since the pictures I saw a few months ago, which is good to see. He's still unbelievably tiny, but the fact he is actually putting on weight now means he is growing and progressing, so the Mamas have done a wonderful job ensuring he is cared for sufficiently.

It was really funny seeing all of the Mamas again, because they all looked so shocked but happy to see me at the same time. It was really nice to know that they remembered me too, and were happy to see me again, as they all gave me a massive hug hello.

The children keep asking after the other volunteers I lived with (Wapi Jasmine, na Emma, na Megan, na Bosk, na Andre, na Charlotte?), and we've all told them that the volunteers love them very much but sadly couldn't come back to the orphanage this time, and they said that they love and miss them too. So, don't worry guys, they still know you care for them and they still love you to bits.

Words cannot describe how nice it is to be back with the children. It has really reminded me of how special they are to me, and how much I want to ensure that I am always a part of their lives. They are all such loving, caring and lively individuals- even at 6 o'clock in the morning! Being back at the orphanage is the best feeling in the world, even when I'm exhausted. I know that I am there to help the kids and that encourages me to work harder. I wish my visit could be longer, but unfortunately I'm only here for two weeks. I will just have to make the most of my time whilst I am here. I honestly cannot describe how amazing it is to be back with all of them- it's like I never even left.


I hope you all had an amazing Christmas and have a lovely New Year. I am now going to go and change about 100 nappies, be mauled by 30 kids and sing Bob the Builder a countless number of times and I couldn't be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment