Sunday, October 17, 2010

Planes, trains and canals

I'm writing right now from Switzerland, the fourth country I've been in in the last three days. My flight from JFK was blessedly uneventful, although I barely slept and have been battling complete and utter exhaustion for the last few days. I got all my tools and equipment through to Amsterdam, though, and was able to stick my huge bags in a luggage locker there, so since Friday morning I have just been using my handbag, albeit stuffed to the brim. I expected to spend the first day by myself in Amsterdam, since my cousin Aline couldn't meet me until 5pm - however, on the way out of the airport I met a confused looking American dude my age muttering and staring perplexedly at the bus boards. His name was Josh, I rescued him from giving up and trying to walk into Amsterdam from the airport, which would have been an interesting 3 hour hike, and we hung out together for the majority of the day - more details and pictures later. At around three we split for him to find a hostel and me to go to the train station to head to Utrecht to meet Aline.

Utrecht was unexpectedly gorgeous, and we had a great day on Saturday exploring the city - again, details and pictures to follow. Then last night she loaded me on the overnight train to Basel, which trundled through Germany on the way, technically giving me my fourth country in as many days. Now I am with my lovely Swiss family, and apart from utterly embarrasing myself by falling asleep in public, all has gone smoothly.  Soon I will get pictures up and talk more, but for now, I am alive and successfully through to Basel! Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment